MailEnable Enterprise with Magicspam

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
roy.esterhuizen

MailEnable Enterprise with Magicspam

Post by roy.esterhuizen »

Good day, forgive me for the long winded questions below:

We have the Mailenable free/standard edition running, and have purchased Magicspam directly from Magicspam. If we upgrade to Enterprise MailEnable, will there be any issues with either Magicspam or Mailenable to anticipate? Any know issues and work arounds ?

1. If we upgrade to Enterprise MailEnable, can we continue with the Magicspam licence we bought directly from Magicspam ?

2. If we upgrade to Enterprise MailEnable, and keep the Magicspam licence from Magicspam, does all the Enterprise MailEnable built in spam filtering features still function, or are they disabled in anyway due to the Magicspam.

3. Is it possible to make use of both the Enterprise MailEnable built in spam filtering AND Magicspam installed same time ?

4. OR, is it totally necessary to use Magicspam if the Enterprise built in spam filtering and features is used ?

Thank you in advance

rfwilliams777

Re: MailEnable Enterprise with Magicspam

Post by rfwilliams777 »

ME Enterprise does have some spam filtering; however, it is not (in my opinion) for commercial use if you are hosting a busy single business or hosting multiple businesses. The spam filter gives false positives often with no recovery or easy to use logs to determine what happened to the email. As a result, you either set up where all spam goes to the junk folder and the user can only tweak (based on IP address only, another negative strike) blacklist/whitelist via webmail or the email disappears with no defined reason why. Filtering is for both in/outbound versus spam filtering software that you can choose to scan only in and/or outbound. Also the databases (again, in my opinion) don't update as quickly baked into ME. You will find yourself having to download spamassasin and other add-ons to help. ME's virus filter definitely lacks.

Although this company closed its doors several years ago, MXScan by MXUptime was (in my opinion) one of the best spam filters ever because you could have global filters and filters down to the post office. Its databases updated every 4 hrs so you got very fresh results versus false positives. I begged ME to buy out MXScan or to obtain a copy of their software to incorporate those features into their mail server software. If they did that, watch out because now you really have a great system!
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi
As a result, you either set up where all spam goes to the junk folder and the user can only tweak (based on IP address only, another negative strike) blacklist/whitelist via webmail or the email disappears with no defined reason why.
Are you referring to right clicking on the message and using the "Report as Spam" option? If so what actions have you set within the web mail properties for the report as spam option? You need to set the action to "Mark the sender IP as spam source then junk" so that the message is still retained within the mailboxes junk email folder. The additional actions to the report as spam option were added in a few versions back and you may have not noticed them.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

MailEnable-Ian wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:09 am
Hi
As a result, you either set up where all spam goes to the junk folder and the user can only tweak (based on IP address only, another negative strike) blacklist/whitelist via webmail or the email disappears with no defined reason why.
Are you referring to right clicking on the message and using the "Report as Spam" option? If so what actions have you set within the web mail properties for the report as spam option? You need to set the action to "Mark the sender IP as spam source then junk" so that the message is still retained within the mailboxes junk email folder. The additional actions to the report as spam option were added in a few versions back and you may have not noticed them.
Actually, I just noticed them today a number of hours ago. But thank you for pointing that out in case others have not.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!