antivirus scanner registry key -- how do error codes work?

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
philip.arny

antivirus scanner registry key -- how do error codes work?

Post by philip.arny »

I'm looking at the way registry keys are used to define antivirus scanners in MailEnable.

In particular, I'm not understanding the way the registry key defines how error codes from the virus scanner are used.

I'm looking at the registry key someone posted for using a nod32 scanner with MailEnable.

First, why do the keys occur twice -- once in MEAVNOD, and once in Default (see keys at end)?

Second, what do the keys actually do? The explanations I've seen in support documents are somewhat unclear.

I *think* this is what they mean:

Exit Code Enabled -- 1 means pay attention to the scanner exit code, 0 means ignore it
Exit Codes -- is a list of possible error codes from the virus scanner
Exit Codes Error Inclusive -- I'm not sure what this means. Support documents say
"0/1 - on/off: used to configure whether the "Exit Codes" indicate errors or successes"

What's an error or success when scanning for a virus?

I ?think? setting Error Codes Inclusive to *1* means "any of these error keys means the scanner found a virus."

Am I right?

Thanks for any thoughts.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mail Enable\Mail Enable\Agents\MTA\Filters\MEAVNOD]
"Exit Code Enabled"=dword:00000001
"Exit Codes Error Inclusive"=dword:00000000
"Exit Codes"="0"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mail Enable\Mail Enable\Agents\MTA\Filters\MEAVNOD\Default]
"Exit Code Enabled"=dword:00000001
"Exit Codes Error Inclusive"=dword:00000000
"Exit Codes"="0"