MailEnable Connector for Microsoft Outlook - in Professional Edition?

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
solucionmike

MailEnable Connector for Microsoft Outlook - in Professional Edition?

Post by solucionmike »

Hi,
I have a few email users that look to be using:
MailEnable Connector for Microsoft Outlook

Even though we use the Professional Edition 10.3

Can someone shed some light on this add-on as I thought it was only available in Enterprise version.

They seem to be duplicating automatically what happens in their PC Outlook directly in their Web Mail , all their folders, deleted emails etc.

I am at a loss to explain what/how this is happening, when questioning the users the best I get is "it looks to be automatic" and they said they did not install anything on their PC.

Is there some other standard feature that does this in MailEnable Pro Edition and is available in Outlook?

Thanks
Mike
Mike May

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: MailEnable Connector for Microsoft Outlook - in Professional Edition?

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The MailEnable MAPI connector for Outlook only works when connecting to a MailEnable Enterprise server. Therefore not sure what you mean by "They seem to be duplicating automatically what happens in their PC Outlook directly in their Web Mail , all their folders, deleted emails etc.". Did your users try to install the connector and setup an account using the connector?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

solucionmike

Post by solucionmike »

Hi Ian,
The users say it "it is just automatic" , but there PCs were most likely were setup by some technical person prior.
From what I see and the user confirms is their folder structure in webmail is identical to their Outlook structure on their PC and synchronises automatically.

You seem to suggest that cannot happen without the Outlook Connector installed on our version of MailEnable. Is there some configuration I can check on our server to see if the Outlook connector is installed/operating and if so some way to check its activity so I can advise those users that I will turn it off or upgrade them etc?

Thanks
Mike
Mike May

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

It will create the folder structure in the outlook client but it will not synchronize any data. It will only work when connecting to an Enterprise server.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

solucionmike

Post by solucionmike »

Thanks Ian, but it's not just the folders, its all the folders contents too.
Whatever they do in Outlook the emails are "moved to" the Web Mail folders automatically (so the user says).
From your answer there is no way to know in our Professional Version that the connector is in fact working or not.
Only leaves one option, I will install the connector myself to see if my Webmail is synchronised to get the bottom of it.
Thanks again.
Mike
Mike May

solucionmike

Post by solucionmike »

Hi Ian,
I downloaded the Connector and installed it on my PC.
I setup a new account in Outlook (IMAP/SMTP).
I noticed the following status messages when sending and receiving:
Synchronizing subscribed folders for XXX@XXX.
Checking for new mail in subscribed folders on XXX@XXX.

After a short wait all 23 emails were downloaded into the Outlook Inbox
I then created a 2 new folders in Outlook, moved some inbox emails to Deleted Items and others to the new folders I created.
(I noticed status messages in Outlook - Synchronising Inbox, Synchronising Clients etc.
I logged on to Webmail, and Yes all the changes I made in Outlook were reflected - including the Emails in the new folders - very cool!!.

I am 100% sure the Connector is working, and explains why some of my users are doing the same.

It looks like a great product, but I don't really want it available on the Server as I am sure it will fill up the Sever Disk.

Is there anyway I can turn it off on the Server?

Thanks

Mike
Mike May

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,
I setup a new account in Outlook (IMAP/SMTP).
That is not connecting via the MAPI Connector. During the account creation wizard you need to select "Other" for transport method and then the "MailEnable Server" option available in the list.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

solucionmike

Post by solucionmike »

Hi Ian,
Thanks again, then from what you are saying the synchronisation I am seeing (and the users are too) is simply a feature of IMAP synchronisation and nothing to do with the Mailenable connector right?

Thanks
Mike
Mike May

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

That is correct.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support